Päivi Lujala Paivi.Lujala(at)oulu.no
I am Professor in Geography, with a background from both human geography and economics, at the Geography Research Unit, University of Oulu, Finland.
My research focuses on two broad topics: i) management of valuable natural resources in the Global South and ii) adaption to climate change related natural hazards.
Currently, I am heading the following externally funded projects:
I am also part of Environmental Peacebuilding Association (treasurer and member of the Board of Directors) and CitRes network (Citizen Engagement, Transparency and Transnational Natural Resource Governance).
- Lujala, Päivi, Philippe Le Billon and Nicolas Gaulin 2022. Determinants of Fossil Fuel Production Cuts and Implications for an International Supply-Side Agreement. Global Environmental Politics (in press).
- Kolstad Ivar, Sosina Bezu, Päivi Lujala, Minhaj Mahmud and Arne Wiig 2022. Does Changing the Narrative Improve Host Community Attitudes Toward Climate Migrants? Experimental Evidence from Bangladesh. International Migration Review. Download (journal)
- Walelign, Solomon and Päivi Lujala 2022. A place-based framework for assessing resettlement capacity in the context of displacement induced by climate change. World Development 151(March): 105777. Open access
- Kurniawan, Nanang Indra, Päivi Lujala, Ståle Angen Rye and Diana Vela-Almeida 2022. The role of local participation in the governance of natural resource extraction. Extractive Industries and Society 9: 101029. Download
- Kolstad, Ivar, Päivi Lujala and Arne Wiig 2022. For lite klimamigrasjon? [Too little climate migration?] Adresseavisen, 24. april 2022. Read
- Le Billon, Philippe, Päivi Lujala and Siri Aas Rustad 2021. Transparency in Environmental and Resource Governance: Theories of Change for the EITI. Global Environmental Politics 21 (3): 124–146. Download (journal), Download (free access, Jultikka)
- Kasimba, Sam A. and Päivi Lujala 2021. Community based participatory governance platforms and sharing of mining benefits: evidence from Ghana. Community Development Journal. Open access
- Brunnschweiler, Christa, Ishmael Edjekumhene and Päivi Lujala 2021. Does information matter? Transparency and demand for accountability in Ghana's natural resource revenue management. Ecological Economics 181: 106903. Download (journal); Download (authors' version; from December 2022); Replication data
- Le Billon, Philippe, Päivi Lujala, Devyani Singh, Vance Culbert and Berit Kristoffersen 2021. Fossil Fuels, Climate Change, and the COVID-19 Crisis: Pathways for a Just and Green Post-Pandemic Recovery. Climate Policy 21(10): 1347-135. Download (journal); Download (authors' version)
- Walelign, Solomon Zena, Susan L. Cutter and Päivi Lujala 2021. Resettlement capacity assessments for climate induced displacements: Evidence from Ethiopia. Climate Risk Management 33: 100347. Open access
- Ogbe, Michael and Päivi Lujala 2021. Spatial Crowdsourcing in Natural Resource Revenue Management. Resources Policy. Open access
- Le Billon, Philippe and Päivi Lujala 2021. Environmental defenders: Killings, perpetrators, and drivers of violence. In Environmental Defenders, Mary Menton and Philippe Le Billon (eds.). London: Routledge.
- Lujala, Päivi, Ashley Hooper and Maureen J. Purcell 2021. The Environmental Spoils of War. In Routledge Handbook of Environmental Security, Richard Matthew Evgenia Nizkorodov and Crystal Murphy (eds.). London: Routledge.
- Prokkola, Eeva-Kaisa, Saija Niemi, Élise Lépy, Jaana Palander, Outi Kulusjärvi and Päivi Lujala 2021. Climate migration: Towards a better understanding and management. Finland and a Global Perspective. Publications of the Government's analysis, assessment and research activities 2021:42. Helsinki: Prime Minister’s Office, Finnish Government. Download