Päivi Lujala Paivi.Lujala(at)oulu.no
I am Professor in Geography and Academy of Finland Research Fellow, with a background from both human geography and economics, at the Geography Research Unit, University of Oulu, Finland. I am also affiliated with Chr. Michelsen Institute (CMI), in Bergen, Norway, where I have a small position as Senior Researcher.
My research focuses on two broad topics: i) management of valuable natural resources in the Global South and ii) adaption to climate change related natural hazards.
Currently, I am heading the following externally funded projects:
I am also part of Environmental Peacebuilding Association and CitRes network (Citizen Engagement, Transparency and Transnational Natural Resource Governance).
- Lujala, Päivi, Sosina Bezu, Ivar Kolstad, Minhaj Mahmud and Arne Wiig 2020. How do host–migrant proximities shape attitudes toward internal climate migrants? Global Environmental Change. Open access; Replication data.
- Le Billon, Philippe and Päivi Lujala 2020. Environmental and land defenders: Global patterns and determinants of repression. Global Environmental Change. Download (journal); Replication data.
- Lujala, Päivi, and Christa Brunnschweiler and Ishmael Edjekumhene 2020. Transparent for whom? Dissemination of information on Ghana’s petroleum and mining revenue management. Journal of Development Studies 56(12): 2135-2153. Open access; Replication data.
- Brunnschweiler, Christa and Ishmael Edjekumhene and Päivi Lujala 2020. Does information matter? Transparency and demand for accountability in Ghana's natural resource revenue management. Ecological Economics. Download (journal); Replication data
- Lujala, Päivi and John Narh 2020. Ghana’s Minerals Development Fund Act: Addressing the Needs of Mining Communities. Journal of Energy & Natural Resources Law 38(2):183-200. Download (journal); Download (from May 19, 2021)
- Lujala, Päivi and Haakon Lein 2020. The role of personal experiences in Norwegian perceptions of climate change. Norwegian Journal of Geography 74(3): 138-151. Download (journal); Download (from August 29, 2021); Replication data
- Kasimba, Sam and Päivi Lujala 2020. Examining Host Communities’ Perceptions on Trust Funds as Corporate Strategies for Community Development in Ghana. Journal of Asian and African Studies. Open access
- Opach, Tomasz, Sabrina Scherzer, Päivi Lujala and Jan Rød 2020. Seeking commonalities of community resilience to natural hazards: A cluster analysis approach. Norwegian Journal of Geography 74(3): 181-199. Open access
- Le Billon, Philippe, Päivi Lujala and Siri Aas Rustad 2020. A Theory of Change for the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative: Designing resource governance pathways to improve developmental outcomes. U4 Issue 2020:11. Download
- Lujala, Päivi and John Narh 2020. Ghana’s mining communities are still not getting their just dues. The Conversation. January 8. Read
- Scherzer, Sabrina, Päivi Lujala and Jan Ketil Rød 2019. A Community Resilience Index for Norway: an Adaptation of the Baseline Resilience Indicators for Communities (BRIC). International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction 36: 101107. Download (open access); Replication data
- Brunnschweiler, Christa and Päivi Lujala 2019. Economic Backwardness and Social Tension. Scandinavian Journal of Economics 121(2): 482-516. Download (journal); Download (post-print); Online Appendix
- Kasimba, Sam and Päivi Lujala 2019. There is no one amongst us with them! Transparency and participation in local natural resource revenue management. Extractive Industries and Society 6(1): 198-205. Download (journal); Download (free access from October 23, 2020)
- Scherzer, Sabrina, Gunhild Setten, Haakon Lein, Päivi Lujala and Jan Ketil Rød 2019. Climate Change and Natural Hazards: The Geography of Community Resilience in Norway. Final Report. Download
- Lujala, Päivi, Christa Brunnschweiler and Ishmael Edjekumhene 2019. Transparent for whom? Dissemination of information on Ghana’s petroleum and mining revenue management. Policy Brief. Download
- Christa Brunnschweiler, Ishmael Edjekumhene, Päivi Lujala and Marten Voors 2019. Transparency and accountability in Ghana’s petroleum revenue management: evidence from a field experiment. Policy Brief. Download
- Edjekumhene, I, Voors, M, Lujala, P, Brunnschweiler, C, Owusu, CK and Nyamekye, A, 2019. Impacts of key provisions in Ghana’s Petroleum Revenue Management Act. 3ie Impact Evaluation Report 94. New Delhi: International Initiative for Impact Evaluation (3ie). Download