Päivi Lujala Paivi.Lujala(at)oulu.no
I am Professor in Geography and Academy of Finland Research Fellow, with a background from both human geography and economics, at the Geography Research Unit, University of Oulu, Finland.
My research focuses on two broad topics: i) management of valuable natural resources in the Global South and ii) adaption to climate change related natural hazards.
Currently, I am heading the following externally funded projects:
I am also part of Environmental Peacebuilding Association (treasurer and member of the Board of Directors) and CitRes network (Citizen Engagement, Transparency and Transnational Natural Resource Governance).
- Le Billon, Philippe, Päivi Lujala and Siri Aas Rustad 2021. Transparency in Environmental and Resource Governance: Theories of Change for the EITI. Global Environmental Politics 21 (3): 124–146. Open access
- Kasimba, Sam A. and Päivi Lujala 2021. Community based participatory governance platforms and sharing of mining benefits: evidence from Ghana. Community Development Journal. Open access
- Brunnschweiler, Christa, Ishmael Edjekumhene and Päivi Lujala 2021. Does information matter? Transparency and demand for accountability in Ghana's natural resource revenue management. Ecological Economics 181: 106903. Download (journal); Download (authors' version; from December 2022); Replication data
- Le Billon, Philippe, Päivi Lujala, Devyani Singh, Vance Culbert and Berit Kristoffersen 2021. Fossil Fuels, Climate Change, and the COVID-19 Crisis: Pathways for a Just and Green Post-Pandemic Recovery. Climate Policy (in press). Download (journal)
- Walelign, Solomon Zena, Susan L. Cutter and Päivi Lujala 2021. Resettlement capacity assessments for climate induced displacements: Evidence from Ethiopia. Climate Risk Management 33: 100347. Open access
- Ogbe, Michael and Päivi Lujala 2021. Spatial Crowdsourcing in Natural Resource Revenue Management. Resources Policy. Open access.
- Prokkola, Eeva-Kaisa, Saija Niemi, Élise Lépy, Jaana Palander, Outi Kulusjärvi and Päivi Lujala 2021. Climate migration: Towards a better understanding and management. Finland and a Global Perspective. Publications of the Government´s analysis, assessment and research activities 2021:42. Helsinki: Prime Minister’s Office, Finnish Government. Download
- Le Billon, Philippe and Päivi Lujala 2021. Environmental defenders: Killings, perpetrators, and drivers of violence. In Environmental Defenders, Mary Menton and Philippe Le Billon (eds.). London: Routledge.
- Lujala, Päivi, Ashley Hooper and Maureen Purcell 2021. The Environmental Spoils of War. In Routledge Handbook of Environmental Security, Richard Matthew and Evgenia Nizkorodov (eds.). London: Routledge (in press).
- Lujala, Päivi, Sosina Bezu, Ivar Kolstad, Minhaj Mahmud and Arne Wiig 2020. How do host–migrant proximities shape attitudes toward internal climate migrants? Global Environmental Change 65: 102156. Open access; Replication data
- Le Billon, Philippe and Päivi Lujala 2020. Environmental and land defenders: Global patterns and determinants of repression. Global Environmental Change 65: 102163. Download (journal); Download (authors' version, from November 2023) Replication data
- Lujala, Päivi, and Christa Brunnschweiler and Ishmael Edjekumhene 2020. Transparent for whom? Dissemination of information on Ghana’s petroleum and mining revenue management. Journal of Development Studies 56(12): 2135-2153. Open access; Replication data
- Lujala, Päivi and John Narh 2020. Ghana’s Minerals Development Fund Act: Addressing the Needs of Mining Communities. Journal of Energy & Natural Resources Law 38(2):183-200. Download (journal); Download (authors' version)
- Lujala, Päivi and Haakon Lein 2020. The role of personal experiences in Norwegian perceptions of climate change. Norwegian Journal of Geography 74(3): 138-151. Download (journal); Download (from August 29, 2021); Replication data
- Kasimba, Sam and Päivi Lujala 2020. Examining Host Communities’ Perceptions on Trust Funds as Corporate Strategies for Community Development in Ghana. Journal of Asian and African Studies. Open access
- Opach, Tomasz, Sabrina Scherzer, Päivi Lujala and Jan Rød 2020. Seeking commonalities of community resilience to natural hazards: A cluster analysis approach. Norwegian Journal of Geography 74(3): 181-199. Open access
- Le Billon, Philippe, Päivi Lujala and Siri Aas Rustad 2020. A Theory of Change for the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative: Designing resource governance pathways to improve developmental outcomes. U4 Issue 2020:11. Download; for a Blog
- Lujala, Päivi 2020. Ilmastosiirtolaisuus on kasvava uhka kehittyvien maiden yhteiskuntarauhalle [Climate migration is a growing threat to social peace in developing countries]. Kaleva October 7. Download
- Lujala, Päivi and John Narh 2020. Ghana’s mining communities are still not getting their just dues. The Conversation. January 8. Download
- Setten, Gunhild and Päivi Lujala 2020. Climate change and natural hazards – the geography of community resilience. Norwegian Journal of Geography 74(3): 133-134, (Introduction to the special issue). Open access