Päivi Lujala Paivi.Lujala(at)oulu.no
I am Professor in Geography and Academy of Finland Research Fellow, with a background from both human geography and economics, at the Geography Research Unit, University of Oulu, Finland. I am also affiliated with Chr. Michelsen Institute (CMI), in Bergen, Norway, where I have a small position as Senior Researcher.
My research focuses on two broad topics: i) management of valuable natural resources in the Global South and ii) adaption to climate change related natural hazards.
Currently, I am heading the following externally funded projects:
I am also part of Environmental Peacebuilding Association and CitRes network (Citizen Engagement, Transparency and Transnational Natural Resource Governance).
- Lujala, Päivi, and Christa Brunnschweiler and Ishmael Edjekumhene 2020. Transparent for whom? Dissemination of information on Ghana’s petroleum and mining revenue management. Journal of Development Studies. Download (open access); Replication data
- Lujala, Päivi and Haakon Lein 2020. The role of personal experiences in Norwegian perceptions of climate change. Norwegian Journal of Geography (forthcoming). DOI:10.1080/00291951.2020.1731850
- Lujala, Päivi and John Narh 2020. Ghana’s mining communities are still not getting their just dues. The Conversation. January 8. Read
- Lujala, Päivi and John Narh 2019. Ghana’s Minerals Development Fund Act: Addressing the Needs of Mining Communities. Journal of Energy & Natural Resources Law. Download (journal); Download (free access from May 19, 2021)
- Scherzer, Sabrina, Päivi Lujala and Jan Ketil Rød 2019. A Community Resilience Index for Norway: an Adaptation of the Baseline Resilience Indicators for Communities (BRIC). International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction 36: 101107. Download (open access); Replication data
- Brunnschweiler, Christa and Päivi Lujala 2019. Economic Backwardness and Social Tension. Scandinavian Journal of Economics 121(2): 482-516. Download (journal); Download (post-print); Online Appendix
- Kasimba, Sam and Päivi Lujala 2019. There is no one amongst us with them! Transparency and participation in local natural resource revenue management. Extractive Industries and Society 6(1): 198-205. Download (journal); Download (free access from October 23, 2020)
- Scherzer, Sabrina, Gunhild Setten, Haakon Lein, Päivi Lujala and Jan Ketil Rød 2019. Climate Change and Natural Hazards: The Geography of Community Resilience in Norway. Final Report. Download
- Lujala, Päivi, Christa Brunnschweiler and Ishmael Edjekumhene 2019. Transparent for whom? Dissemination of information on Ghana’s petroleum and mining revenue management. Policy Brief. Download
- Christa Brunnschweiler, Ishmael Edjekumhene, Päivi Lujala and Marten Voors 2019. Transparency and accountability in Ghana’s petroleum revenue management: evidence from a field experiment. Policy Brief. Download
- Edjekumhene, I, Voors, M, Lujala, P, Brunnschweiler, C, Owusu, CK and Nyamekye, A, 2019. Impacts of key provisions in Ghana’s Petroleum Revenue Management Act. 3ie Impact Evaluation Report 94. New Delhi: International Initiative for Impact Evaluation (3ie). Download